Updated January 22, 2024
Are you ready to beat the summer heat? Maybe you’ve got a pool you can swim in, maybe you’ve stocked up on shorts and tank tops, or maybe you’re just going to treat yourself to some extra ice cream over the next few months. But no matter what you do this summer, you’re going to need a working air conditioner to stay cool and comfortable inside your house.
At Golden Rule, we’re here to meet all your air conditioning service needs. However, just because you’re going to be running your AC more over the next few months doesn’t mean you should have to put up with out-of-control energy costs. Keep reading for our top five ways to slash your air conditioning bill this summer and remember you can always call our skilled HVAC techs at Golden Rule for AC repair, replacement, installation, and maintenance.
Top 5 Summer AC Tips
- Turn Up Your Thermostat: It’s an inescapable fact that your energy costs will rise somewhat over the summer. To help offset this, it is a good idea to raise your thermostat setting. While the idea of turning the thermostat up as the weather gets hotter may seem counterintuitive, adjusting your thermostat during the summer will not only balance out your AC costs but may also help you achieve more consistent temperatures throughout your home. You can also install a smart thermostat, which will learn the needs of your household and adjust to meet them automatically. We recommend turning your thermostat to 78 degrees when you are home and raising it as high as 82 degrees when you leave for the day. Speaking of which…
- Let Your AC Run While You Are at Work: Much like turning up the thermostat when it’s warm outside, many homeowners resist the idea that they can save money by leaving their AC on when they go to work for the day or head out to run errands. And yet the alternative scenario is usually where you end up wasting money. Say you come home during a summer heatwave, what’s the first thing you are likely to do? Chances are you will crank the AC as low as you can, so it cools down your house faster. Forcing your air conditioner to overexert itself like this is where you waste money, not to mention putting unnecessary wear and tear on your system. Instead of doing this, consider letting your AC run at a comfortable 72 degrees while you are at work. That way, by the time you come home your house will be cool and comfortable and your air conditioner won’t have to waste the extra energy (meaning you won’t have to waste the extra money.)
- Use Ceiling Fans Wherever Applicable: While you might not think it would do much, a well-placed ceiling fan can cool your home down by an additional 2-3 degrees when working with your air conditioner. Ceiling fans can also help to spread airflow throughout a room in a way an AC unit can’t. Moreover, you can save a ton of money by substituting fan use for your AC on temperate summer days and cool summer nights. Bottom line: ceiling fans can take some pressure off your air conditioner, meaning lower energy costs all summer long.
- Seal Up Insulation & Ductwork Leaks: The average homeowner loses 25-30% of their heating and cooling power every year through cracks and holes throughout their home. While you can help reduce air loss by weather-stripping doors and windows, you should also consider hiring a professional to inspect your insulation and ductwork. Air sealing your insulation can help lock in temperatures and stop your air from escaping outdoors while repairing your ductwork will ensure your AC system does not have to work as hard to cool your home. You can also help to keep temperatures down by closing windows, blinds, and curtains when it’s hot out, as the rays from the sun can increase heat gain in your home by a staggering 45%.
- Don’t Hesitate to Call a technician: It is important to deal with air conditioning issues before they get worse. Failing to make necessary repairs is only going to cause you to spend more on energy costs in the long run and may even force you to replace your air conditioner before its time. From leaky units to funny smells and sounds, to complete system failure, Golden Rule has the training, tools, and experience to get to the bottom of the issue. And with service for heat pumps and ductless mini splits as well, there’s no reason not to hire Golden Rule for all your cooling needs.
Call us anytime at (515) 517-6557 or click here to send us a message online.
If you found this post helpful, check out some other budget-saving tips: