Need a Whole-Home Generator Installation in Des Moines?
Des Moines' Most Trusted Name in Whole‑Home Generator Installations
Call Golden Rule today and get expert advice on a variety of generator systems as well as the best post-install warranty and guarantee protections in the state.
Free Electrical Home Inspection
Golden Rule Plumbing, Heating, Cooling & Electrical is currently offering a free inspection of your electrical system. Includes checking your: (Breakers, Electrical Panel, Ground System, Outlets, Lighting) All to ensure your system is running safely!
Cannot be combined with other offers. Other conditions may apply. To redeem, mention coupon at time of service. Expires January 1, 2023.
Golden Rule Process
Get the Golden Rule Treatment on Your Next Home Generator Installation
Find out how each part of our home generator install process applies The Golden Rule:
Scheduling Your Whole-Home Generator Install
Fast, Friendly & Convenient Scheduling in 3 Steps!
- Reach out to us: It's easier than ever to schedule a visit with a Golden Rule electrician. Simply call or schedule online, and we'll have a your appointment booked in just minutes.
- Get call reminders: Our customers are busy and appointments are easy to forget. That's why we provide courtesy reminders both the day before and the day of your installation to make sure there are no surprises.
- Meet your electrician: We'll text you your electrician's name, picture and bio on the day of your appointment, so you'll know exactly who's showing up at your door.
Want even more reasons to schedule with Golden Rule?
- SMS text confirmations for your appointment
- Real-time location updates when your electrician is on the way
- Expert electricians are continually training
They were very good about letting us know when they’d be able to get here. Great work and provided excellent service!—Bill S.
Pricing Your Home Generator Installation
How much does it cost to install a whole-home generator in Des Moines?
- Low $8,000
- Our Average $13,000
- High $18,000
Estimates the Golden Rule way
At Golden Rule, our goal is to give each customer the kind of estimate that we'd want for ourselves—one that's transparent, honest, and free from sales pressure. And that's exactly what you'll get when you call us for your whole-home generator estimate.
- Cost of your estimate: FREE
What factors affect the cost of a generator install?
- Generator output: The higher the output of a generator, the more equipment you can connect to it. This is an important consideration to make when determining what appliances and electronics need to be powered in an emergency. But you also have to weigh output against the cost of the generator itself, since more output equals more money spent. You can determine a generator's output by its kilowatts (kW).
- Generator fuel type: Generators run on different types of fuel, including diesel, propane, or natural gas. Diesel and propane tend to cost more, as they typically require installing a storage tank on the property. This isn't the case for natural gas units, hence their lower installation costs.
- Other home updates: Modifying a home's electrical system may be necessary to accommodate the new generator. There are also cases where upgrades to a home's gas meter are required, or a concrete slab needs to be poured for the generator to rest on. The good news is Golden Rule can alert you to these costs early on with a free estimate, giving you more knowledge to make an informed decision about your generator.
Very helpful, explained multiple options and price points. Scheduled install very quickly after the decision was made and employees who installed were great.—Jenna R.
Completing Your Home Generator Installation
We imagined the perfect home generator install...Then we made it a reality for our customers
- RespectfulHave a personal request? We'll follow it to the letter.
- Consistent99% of installations completed in just one day.
- ProfessionalLicensed electricians trained in-house.
- CleanShoe covers are worn at all times in your home.
- ReliableHundreds of generators installed successfully every year.
- AccessibleFinancing available for the latest generator systems.
Whole-Home Generator Install FAQ
Whole-home generators rely on something called a transfer switch to switch power from the city's electrical grid to the generator. This is done automatically when an outage occurs. Once power is restored to your home, the transfer switch should automatically switch back to the city's electrical grid and shut down the generator without you having to lift a finger.
Protecting Your Home Generator Installation
1-Year Labor Warranty
Golden Rule offers a 1-year labor warranty for all generator installs. If you need repairs within a year of the install, we'll return and fix it without charging for labor.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
We promise to give you a generator installation that meets or exceeds your expectations. If for any reason that didn't happen, we'll go above and beyond to resolve your concern.
The Gold Club: Maintenance Doesn't Get Any Better Than This
What do over 10,000 Des Moines metro homeowners have in common? They're all protected by the state's most comprehensive whole-home maintenance plan, The Golden Rule Gold Club!
With the Gold Club, you'll receive three annual scheduled maintenance visits (heating, cooling and plumbing), plus discounts on repairs, priority service, no trip charges, and more for less than $9 a month!
The R.U.L.E.S. We Live By
The pride of Golden Rule is our outstanding service and the rules we live by every day. We hold our customer service very highly and want to make sure you are taken care of to the best of our ability. No matter the problem, we will take care of you.
Below are our values or “rules to live by":
- Respect: We will always treat our customers the way we would like to be treated.
- Understanding: We understand that a prompt response is what our customers deserve.
- Loyalty: We are loyal to our pledge that we treat each customer’s home like it's their castle.
- Expertise: We’re masters at our trade because we never stop training.
- Service: We serve our community with the highest of ethical standards.
Would definitely recommend them to friends and family...
Excellent Service! Would definitely recommend them to friends and family. JD was great, very professional and helpful. He explained everything in detail and showed me all the options I had available, rather than persuading me towards the most expensive options. Will definitely keep going with them in the future.—Juan A.