The official start of spring is a sign that it’s time to start preparing for the hot weather that summer brings. A crucial step in these preparations is to call up your local expert HVAC technicians and tell them you want to have your annual air conditioning tune-up and inspection.
If you think maintenance is a luxury for your AC and not something you need to invest in every year, you might want to think twice about that. Investing in AC maintenance in the spring before summer hits is wise for several reasons, such as:
- Maintenance prevents breakdowns
- AC maintenance reduces your energy bill
- Tune-ups extend the life of your AC equipment
- Regular maintenance keeps your manufacturer’s warranty valid
- Let’s go over each of these reasons in more detail so you can schedule your AC maintenance as soon as possible.
Need an AC tune-up before summer? Schedule service with Golden Rule today.
Maintenance prevents breakdowns
Annual AC maintenance catches problems before they become major, expensive repairs or breakdowns.
Regular tune-ups reduce the strain on your AC, preventing most malfunctions and breakdowns. So although annual maintenance does come with a financial burden, it pays for itself!
Of course, the worst possible scenario is for your AC to break down in the middle of summer. And unfortunately, that’s when it’s most likely to happen because it’s working the hardest. Although an HVAC technician can help you solve the problem with an emergency repair, it’s always better to avoid a breakdown in the first place. That’s why it’s best to schedule your maintenance before the summer season begins.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, a technician should at minimum complete the following maintenance tasks during an AC tune-up to ensure your system is in good working condition:
- Check belts for tightness and wear
- Check for and seal duct leakage in central systems
- Check the accuracy of the thermostat
- Check the refrigerant levels
- Inspect electric terminals, clean and tighten connections, and apply a non-conductive coating (if necessary)
- Measure airflow through the evaporator coil
- Oil the motors
- Test for refrigerant leaks
- Verify that the heating and cooling system cannot operate simultaneously
When performed by a professional, these maintenance tasks will keep your AC system running efficiently and safely.
Tip: To help prevent breakdowns, aim to change your AC’s air filter every other month (or monthly during the summer).
AC maintenance reduces your energy bill
Annual maintenance will keep your AC working at maximum efficiency, which will reduce your monthly energy bills.
For example, if your air conditioner’s coils are dirty, the layer of dirt and dust will act as an insulator, blocking the flow of warm air. As a result, the AC will have to work harder and longer to keep your home cool, and you’ll pay more to keep your home cool in summer.
On the other hand, if you keep up with annual tune-ups and cleanings, you’ll make sure your system is working correctly and is ready to keep up with the increased demand during summer.
Tune‑ups extend the life of your AC equipment
Air conditioners that get regular maintenance last longer than ACs that don’t. Regular care means your AC won’t suffer unnecessary wear and tear, causing it to strain to reach your desired temperature and its parts to malfunction.
The average central air conditioning system can last between 15 and 20 years if it receives regular tune-ups and inspections from a certified technician, saving you a significant amount on an early replacement.
Regular maintenance keeps your manufacturer’s warranty valid
Neglecting to schedule annual maintenance often voids equipment warranties.
Just because you have a manufacturer’s warranty on your AC system doesn’t mean it will cover the cost of a repair or replacement. You also have to uphold your end of the deal by keeping up with regular maintenance visits and tune-ups. Doing so means you’ll have financial protection if your AC fails because of a manufacturing error.
When you install with Golden Rule, we honor the manufacturer’s warranty no matter what.
Sign up for our Gold Club Membership maintenance plan
We offer a convenient Gold Club Membership to make maintenance easy for you. With a single plan, you’ll receive annual maintenance services for your air conditioning, heating, and plumbing systems. You won’t even have to worry about scheduling your appointments; we’ll call you.
- Check AC for level
- Check condenser coil
- Check filter
- Inspect AC line for restrictions
- Inspect blower motor
- Inspect breaker and disconnect
- Inspect contactor
- Inspect evaporator coil if accessible
- Measure and test temperature drop
- Rinse condenser
- Test blower motor and amp draw
- Test compressor amp draw
- Test compressors start capacitor
- Test motor start capacitor
- Text all wiring connections
Need a Des Moines technician for AC maintenance?
Contact Golden Rule. Our team of certified experts will always provide high-quality, professional AC maintenance. Call now to reap the benefits of our reliable AC tune-ups and worry-free annual Gold Club maintenance plan.
- High-performance AC tune-ups
- Priority service
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- 10% service discount
- Transferable to a new home or new homeowner (if someone buys your home)
- 5 Ways to Slash Your Air Conditioning Bill This Summer
- The Best Way to Clean an AC Filter