According to the National Fire Protection Association, smoke detectors reduce the risk of fire-related harm by 55%. The CDC also recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector to prevent accidental poisoning from the odorless and colorless gas, which is commonly known as the “silent killer.”
It’s clear that fire and CO detectors are vital for any home, but you can breathe easy knowing that you've got an extra layer of protection with hardwired versions.
To help keep your home a reliably safe haven, we’ll walk you through:
We’ll explain the benefits of hardwired carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and why you should install them in your Iowa home.
Want a Same-Day Hardwired Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detector Installation?
Contact Golden Rule Plumbing, Heating & Cooling at (515) 393-4526! Our electricians are ready to provide you with same-day hardwired detector installations. Not only do we complete 99% of our installations for Des Moines Metro homeowners in just one visit, but we also offer the best guarantees and warranties in Iowa.
What Are Hardwired Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors?
Homeowners can install either hardwired carbon monoxide and smoke detectors or battery-only ones. Compared to a battery-only detector, a hardwired one is permanently wired into a nearby circuit that is Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCI) protected. An AFCI circuit prevents the circuit from being the source of an electrical fire by monitoring it for arc faults, which is when an electrical current diverts from its intended path. In the case of a power failure halting a hardwired alarm from drawing power from the house’s wiring, there is a built-in backup battery.
Hardwired detectors are also interconnected, which means that one alarm going off will trigger the rest of the alarms in the building to go off.
Why Are Hardwired Detectors Better Than Battery‑Operated Ones?
Because they function more reliably, hardwired detectors have proven to save more lives. Researchers in the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) found that hardwired smoke detectors properly operated 94% of the time during fires considered large enough to activate an alarm. In contrast, battery-operated detectors only worked 82% of the time.
NFPA is not the only major organization to push hardwired smoke detectors over battery-powered ones. Underwriters Laboratories (UL), a global safety certification organization, sets standards. UL 217 requires hardwired smoke alarms for newly constructed or renovated buildings.
The UL also certifies hardwired smoke and carbon monoxide detectors with a label that proves they’ve passed nationally-recognized safety standards by the National Electric Code and other codes.
What are the benefits of hardwired detectors over battery-powered ones?
- The interconnected hardwired detector increases the probability of alerting your household to danger.
- The hardwiring pulls power from your home’s electrical system instead of relying on batteries, which can have low or no power if you forget to replace them.
- Hardwired detectors have a secondary power source (built-in backup batteries) in case of power failure.
- There is no maintenance needed for hardwired detectors, which is helpful when you have multiple detectors. Generally, safety scientists recommend installing a carbon monoxide and smoke detector in every bedroom, within 15 feet of each bedroom door, and on each floor in your house.
- You can install a combo hardwired carbon monoxide and smoke detector instead of a separate smoke alarm to meet the above quantity recommendations.
The Advanced Features of Hardwired Detectors
Hardwired smoke and/or CO detectors have many advanced high-tech features to add to your installation.
- Smart detectors that can send text alerts and connect to your WiFi and other smart devices
- Voice alerts
- Flashing light alerts for those hard of hearing
- Alerts about nearby natural disasters or inclement weather
- Carbon monoxide detectors with digital displays to show the CO levels
Install a Hardwired Carbon Monoxide & Smoke Detector Today! Contact Golden Rule Plumbing, Heating & Cooling
For reliable hardwired carbon monoxide and smoke detector installations, call your friends at Golden Rule. We’re open from 7 am to 7 pm every weekday and provide weekend service. Also, we’ll give you an upfront, fixed-price quote for the installation.